Today's blog post is by Jacqueline Way, founder of 365give.
How does one person change the world? Seems like a simple mission right? What if you have limited resources, money, time or no volunteers? What is the one way you can reach out to the world, create a positive impact to generate change that will ripple around the world and inspire people to give more in their lives? Social media.
My story is simple. I am one woman that wanted to inspire more people to give in their lives. I wanted to create something that would make a lasting impression and inspire a lifetime of giving. But how does one person, one organization reach out to inspire and motivate people to give?
I made a commitment to give every day for 365 days and blog about it. Here’s the kicker—I had never blogged, tweeted or Facebooked in my life. My fear of social media was holding me back from my dream and I had to get over it. The only way I was going to reach out to the world was to start talking to them, tell them my story and inspire as many people as I could to do simple small acts of kindness every day.
My stories about giving are my own and different every day. It may be something as simple as buying a stranger a coffee, picking up garbage at our local park or surprising a friend with flowers. I make small personal donations when I can afford it, I volunteer, I click my way around the Internet signing petitions and pledges. I am hoping that every small act I complete inspires just one person, who in turn will inspire someone else. Do you want to change the world in your own way? Here is the 365give plan of action to change the world one day at a time.
Action Plan to Changing the World One Day at a Time
- Make the 365give commitment: Commit to giving every day for 7 days, 30 days or 365 days. Find small acts that you can fit into your day to give.
- Make a long term commitment: Sponsor a child for a year, help build a well in Africa—make a monthly donation that automatically happens no matter how busy you are.
- Host a fundraiser: Host a dinner party and ask your friends and family to participate. Make it a potluck and with every dish each person donates $20 to your chosen charity.
- Volunteer: Find your passion and commit some personal time to help. Volunteer to support the homelessness, hungry, a shelter or a charity event. Every hour of your time you give saves the charity money hiring someone to do the task.
- Teach Your Children: There isn’t a class in school that will teach your children to be socially responsible. It can start at any age with simple acts like picking up garbage at your local park. Teach them how precious the planet is by recycling or donating the money in their piggy bank to a child on the other side of the world that needs to go to school. Your children will carry the idea of philanthropy through their lives and inspire others if we teach them.
My giving journey will never end. We don’t live in Utopia and I want the world to be a better place for my son and every one else’s children. I may not be Oprah or Bono but I know I am changing the world one day at a time. Social media gives us that outlet to share our passion and gives us a voice that can travel around the world. One small act of kindness can now touch the hearts of a people everywhere. I may not know everyone I have helped or inspired, but giving inspires more giving.
Jacqueline Way is a mom, entrepreneur and founder of 365give, her giving platform to change the world, one person at a time, one day at a time. This vehicle for giving has enabled her to put a focus, intention and purpose to her giving while inspiring her family to do the same. It maintains her belief that 'giving is good,' and will positively affect people, places and things when you give every day.